Registration of Swedish Marriage for Personal Status Changes in Thailand 

Required Documents.

  1. Marriage certificate (Vigselbevis) in original.
  2. Extract of the population register (Personbevis) of the Thai partner. It must be stamped and signed by the Swedish Tax Agency.

These documents must be legalized at.

  1. UD, Juridiska Expedition.
  2. Royal Thai Embassy in Stockholm. 

*IMPORTANT: Before booking an appointment or visiting us for legalization at the Royal Thai Embassy, please review crucial information regarding legalization, document requirements, and fees Click Here

Make an online appointment Click Here.


After that please proceed.

  • Translated into English and then into Thai.
  • The translation will then be legalized at a notary public, the Swedish Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Thai Embassy in Sweden.

You can also do the translation in Thailand. Then you should ask the translation agency to legalize translations so that they are ready to be used by the Thai authorities.

In Thailand.

  • The marriage certificate, identity card, and translations must be legalized at the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs (legalization division)
  • Submitted to the registration office / Ampour where the Thai partner is registered.

The marriage is now registered in Thailand, and the Thai partner can now change his last name and make a new ID-Card and passport with the new last name.